Rothiemay: Stone Circle
Time Line:




Stone Age   Flints tools worked at Inchcorsie and Clashmanhillock
c.2000 Cairns erected on surrounding hills including Hill of Retanach and Hill of Cairns
BC c.1500 Neolithic people erected cup and ring marked stone circle. Cup and ring marked boulder erected at Avochie
AD 83 Roman expedition stopped at Burnfield and crossed river on way to Auchinhove in Grange

c.210 Roman expedition by Septimius Severus.
  c.570 St. Drostan established kirk beside River Deveron
  c.670 St. Nathalan's kirk established at Knauchland

c.700 Pictish stones carved

c.1005 Malcolm II defeated a Viking raiding party at the Battle of Mortlach. Viking incursions in the North East lasted from c.794 to c.1150.
  1264 Lands of Rothiemay escheated* to Crown

1266 Rent assigned to King Eric II of Norway as part of the dowry for the maid of Norway

1307 King Robert the Bruce's force was attacked by Comyn forces at Slioch in Drumblade (near Torra Duncan) while Bruce was seriously ill with fever.
  1308 Bruce defeated John Comyn, 3rd Earl of Buchan at the Battle of Barra (near Oldmeldrum), and harried the Buchan lands thereafter. This marked  the start of Bruce's returned to power after earlier defeats.
    Estate granted to Murdach Stewart, 8th Earl of Monteith, by King Robert the Bruce. (Murdach Stewart was killed at Battle of Dupplin in 1332).
    Estate granted to David de Barclay, by King Robert the Bruce
  1335 David of Strathbogie, the disinherited Earl of Athol, was defeated by Sir Andrew Moray at the Battle of Culblean, and killed.
267 years
1345 The manor of Rothiemay was granted to Sir William de Abernethy, third of Saltoun, by King David II. Sir William had been at the Battle of Halidon Hill in 1333, from which he succeeded in escaping, but his lands had been forfeited

1404 Granted to William of Abernethy of Saltoun by Robert III.

1411 Sir William Abernethy of Rothiemay, heir to the above, fell at the battle of Red Harlaw.

1420 William Abernethy, seventh of Saltoun, succeeded his grandfather, William of Abernethy.

1445 Lawrence de Abernethy became Lord Saltoun of Abernethy in Rothiemay.

1459 William, second Lord Saltoun, was appointed Sheriff of Banffshire.

1492 Charter by King James IV refers to mills at Milltown

1496 James, third Lord Saltoun of Rothiemay presented a gift of pears from the castle garden to the King

1513 Alexander, fourth Lord Saltoun, survived the Battle of Flodden.

1542 William, fifth Lord Saltoun, was involved in a quarrel with the Crichtons of Frendraught, which concerned the slaughter of George Crighton of Conzie, and James and Robert Crighton.

1562 Queen Mary spent the night of 4th September at the castle, the guest of Alexander Abernethy, sixth Lord Saltoun, on her way north to quell the rebellion by the Earl of Huntly

1568 Castle threatened by George, Earl of Huntly

Estate bought by Sir James Stewart of Killeith (Lord Ochiltree)

The first schoolmaster, William Abernethy, was appointed

95 years

Estate bought by John Gordon of Cairnburrow for his son William

Kirktown of Rothiemay became a free burgh of Barony

1630 William Gordon died in the Burning of Frendraught

1644 Castle held by Covenanters and captured by Montrose

1651 Rothiemay's Foot were on the defeated Royalist side at the Battle of Worcester. Many men were transported to the Colonies.

Castle garrisoned by Cromwell's soldiers.
  1712 Estate bought by Mr Archibald Ogilvie who owed most of money to William Duff. He was later involved in '15 rebellion. 
  1716 William Hay, the minister, was removed for supporting Jacobites
149 years
1741 Bought by William Duff, Lord Braco, afterwards 1st Earl Fife

1752 James, 2nd Earl Fife moved the church and churchyard to a new site

1788 The countess died and the castle was rebuilt as a modern mansion

1807 New church erected

1881 Lord Fife provide water supply for the village
50 years
1890 Bought by Lieut. Colonel John Foster Forbes

1901 Castle tower and extensions added, designed by A. Marshall Mackenzie

1914 John Foster Forbes died

1940 Lands and Estate bought by Lord Saltoun
  1946 Bought by Lord Brocket

1948 Bought by  H.D. Ward Ltd.
  1964 Castle demolished